Yep, we’re still pushing to get girls more involved in studying STEM subjects and going on to STEM based careers. We’re like broken records, right?
But we have a good reason, we promise! The world needs STEM workers – badly – and many women are discouraged from STEM careers because culturally, we’ve somehow made that into ‘guy stuff’. Well no more! There are tons of reasons why more girls should head towards STEM careers, and this handy infographic below showcases a whole lot of them! Offering a boatload of statistics about STEM careers, job numbers, and workers, it also offers a few handy resources for getting girls more involved in STEM skills. Keep reading to learn more!
STEM Needs You!
- STEM graduates have a lower unemployment rate than graduates in non-STEM fields. (4.7% vs 5.4%)
- There are more STEM jobs available than there are qualified workers to fill them.
- 30% of STEM job openings are in cities.
- Only 11% of the population has a STEM degree.
- For every computer major, there were 7 relevant job openings as of 2010.
- Only 1 in 18 workers held a STEM job in 2010.
- Though women make up 46.7% of the entire workforce, they represent less than 25% of STEM workers.
- Between 1985 and 2010, the % of degrees in computer science earned by women actually decreased from 37% to 18%! That’s not progress!
- Almost 60% of graduate students are women.
- Women now earn about 90% of what men earn.
- Women in STEM jobs earn about 33% more than women in non-STEM jobs.