We’ve all heard so many arguments for and against standardized testing in the US. Many think they’re forcing our students to steer away from their creativity in favor of getting better test scores.
Others think they’re a good way to show the world that our students are competitive in a variety of subjects, especially the STEM subjects. This infographic below showcases an argument that standardized tests don’t make sense. Keep reading to find out more.
A Few Highlights:
- US students are the most tested students in the world.
- Studies show standardized testing positively affects student achievement despite a lack of improvement in test scores since the 1970’s.
- School spending for standardized testing has increased dramatically in recent years, and many private businesses make huge profits from testing.
- All fifty states define ‘proficient’ differently.
- More students than ever are dropping out of high school.
- The majority of students are not considered proficient in science, american history, and writing.