While online learning is nothing new, traditional education is being disrupted by online education. With so many colleges and universities now say that online courses are a critical part of their long-term strategy, it is clear that this trend is affecting the mainstream population higher education students. New technology is fueling online education adoption and enabling it to be very effective. Check out the handy infographic below to learn more about some of the current statistics and trends in online learning.
A Few Fun Statistics
- The adoption rate of online courses is huge – in 2010, the increase was over 560,000 students
- Online education is growing faster than traditional classroom education. Online classes are averaging a 10% growth rate vs. 2% for traditional classes
- 31% of higher education students are enrolled in at least one online class
- 65% of higher education institutions cite online learning as a critical part of their long-term strategy
- 51% of Chief Administrative Officers say that the online education their school offers is the same as their traditional classes
- Most students who enroll in online courses do it to further their current career (46%). 26% do it to change careers